Special accommodations are reportedly being made for Connor Neurauter, a 21-year-old Canadian who has pleaded guilty to soliciting nude photos from a 13-year-old girl. Neurauter was sentenced to 90 days in jail, but he won’t have to serve until May — so as not to disrupt his semester at school.
According to Newsweek, Neurauter has also already received special treatment during the trial: A 2016 court date for an additional charge of child pornography had been adjourned so he could participate in a hockey camp with his team.
A Vice report explained that Neurauter had allegedly been abusive toward the girl. At one point, he reportedly choked her and then intimidated her into sending nude photos over text and Snapchat. A friend of the victim attempted to appease him by sending him pictures of herself instead. Eventually, the friend told her mother, who reported the situation to the police.
Last year, four men pleaded guilty to robbing and assault gay men they found on the social media app Grindr. Now, one of the perpetrators, Nigel Garrett, pictured at left, has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.
According to the DOJ official website, Garrett admitted to the crime as part of a plea agreement. He said the group found men on the app and entered their homes with the purpose of hurting them. The victims were restrained with tape, physically assaulted, and mocked for their sexual orientation. Property and motor vehicles were stolen by the group, who threatened the victims with firearms.
Anthony Shelton (pictured at rigth), Chancler Encalade, and Cameron Ajiduah are the other three men named as perpetrators. An eighteen count indictment was issued against the four. Charges included hate crimes, kidnappings, carjackings, and the use of firearms to commit violent crimes. The four home invasions
A judge in South Africa’s Supreme Court has more than doubled the sentence handed down to athlete and double-amputee Oscar Pistorius, who murdered his girlfriend in February of 2013. The case had garnered international attention due to Pistorius’s status as an acclaimed Olympian.
According to the New York Times, Pistorius was at first sentenced for the crime as manslaughter, but charges were changed on appeal to murder. He was given six years of jail time for the killing.
“I am of the view that a long-term imprisonment will not serve justice,” Judge Masipa controversially declared at the time of the original trial. “He’s a fallen hero who has lost his career and is ruined financially.”
The most recent round of appeals resulted in a new sentence
A convicted child sex trafficker in Colorado was sentenced to 472 years in prison on Tuesday, the longest sentence ever for a human trafficking case in United States history.
Brock Franklin, 31, was found guilty on human trafficking, sexual exploitation of a child, child prostitution, and kidnapping charges in March, FOX 31 Denver reports, for operating a sex trafficking ring that preyed upon women and children.
“A 400-year sentence sends a strong message across the country that we’re not going to tolerate this kind of violence to women and vulnerable populations,” Janet Drake of the Colorado Attorney General’s office told FOX 31.
Prosecutors said Franklin used drugs and violence to control his victims. He sold their services online. The actual act often took place at hotels in the Denver metropolitan area. Franklin also forced his victims to have sex with him.
“I can’t begin to even explain what he did to my life,”
A New Jersey man who was convicted of killing his 3-year-old son after he worried the boy was interfering with his relationship with his 17-year-old girlfriend was given his crime’s maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, Time magazine reported.
David Creato Jr., 23, pleaded guilty in August to aggravated manslaughter of his son Brendan after a murder trial ended in a mistrial. He said at the August plea that he “recklessly caused his son’s death under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life by depriving Brendan of oxygen.”
“You have caused so much brokenness,” grandmother, Danielle Colins, recounts the sadness David Creato Jr. caused by killing his son.
A Connecticut father who threw his son off a 90-foot-high bridge is now facing a possible life in prison after being convicted of the boy’s murder. The body of the 7-month-old was found two days after he was put into the river.
According to Boston.com, 23-year-old Tony Moreno will be sentenced this Wednesday. A jury convicted him of murder and risk of injury to a child in February.
Moreno threw his son, Aaden, off the Arrigoni Bridge in Middletown in July 2015. The father also jumped off, but survived. He testified that he accidentally dropped Aaden.
According to the report, Moreno’s relationship with the baby’s mother had become difficult in the months leading up to bridge incident. She said no to his marriage proposal and a custody dispute was settled just days before the son’s death.
A California man was sentenced on Wednesday to 240 days in prison. The charge is for the rape of an intoxicated person, his sister.
According to an ABC affiliate in California, 20-year-old Nolan Bruder pleaded guilty earlier this month to giving his 16-year-old sister high potency marijuana known as “dabs” to smoke after she repeatedly resisted his sexual advances. Burder gave her “dabs” until she no longer recognized him as her brother.
Judge Follett said he believed the stigma of this conviction in addition to mandatory sex offender registration would “sufficiently” deter Bruder and others in the community.
But, Del Norte District Attorney Dale P. Trigg said he “could not disagree more.”
Trigg said, “The message that this sends to our community is that sexual predators who get their
The former high school teacher accused of abducting his teen student was indicted on two federal charges Thursday.
Tad Cummins, 50, was indicted on a charge of transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activities, according to PEOPLE. He was additionally charged with destruction, alteration or falsification of records in a federal investigation for allegedly destroying two phones to impede the investigation.
Cummins’ attorney stated that his client had no prior criminal history and noted that he did not coerce, force or threaten Elizabeth Thomas. The teen girl’s family disputes that claim. Thomas, who was 15 at the time of the alleged abduction, just turned 16 on Wednesday.
Cummins pleaded not guilty to the charges, according to CNN. Each count is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and, according to the Department of Justice, if convicted Cummins could face life in jail. He
The 18-year-old who shot his friend—and reportedly took a selfie afterwards—has been hit with a lengthy prison sentence. According to WPXI Pittsburgh,Maxwell Morton was sentenced to 15 to 30 years in prison.
Morton took a photo of himself on Snapchat in February 2015 that showed the body of 16-year-old Ryan Mangan after he shot him in the face. During his trial, he said that he pulled the trigger but thought the gun would just click.
WTAEreported earlier that the two were playing video games during the shooting. The prosecution tried to argue that the crime was premeditated and Morton didn’t show remorse. Defense argued that the shooting was an accident. The selfie was sent to a friend, whose mother reported the crime. NBC10 reported that the teen testified that Morton bragged about the shooting, saying he “got his first body.”
Per WPXI, Morton said that he doesn’t know why he was smiling in the notorious