This week, Roger Gilbert Jr. made national headlines after he was re-elected as a small Pennsylvania town’s fire chief, despite the fact that Gilbert has been a registered sex offender, according to CBS Local. In 2001, Chief Gilbert was convicted of sexual assault of a 4-year-old girl.
Now, Gilbert has announced that he is stepping down amidst the controversy. He said that he and his family are receiving death threats.
Gilbert told JET 24, “My family and our community are being attacked. I didn’t want that to continue. All I have done for 18 years is good things. But outsiders are tearing us up. I felt the best thing to do was back away.”
He’s not only resigning as the fire chief but from the fire department completely.
“It seems you can never do wrong and do good again.”
Gilbert, 43, was elected for a second term for the position, which is unpaid
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/convicted-sex-offender-Roger-Gilbert-Jr-Steps-Down-As-Fire-Chief
Despite criticism, Spartansburg Mayor Ann Louise Wagner is standing behind her decision to uphold the re-election of Roger Gilbert Jr. as the small Pennsylvania town’s fire chief, despite Gilbert’s status as a registered sex offender, according to CBS Local.
In 2001, Chief Gilbert was convicted of sexual assault of a 4-year-old girl. He is currently listed in the state’s Megan’s Law database. (The New York Times had erroneously stated that Gilbert had pleaded guilty to the crime and later issued a correction on their report.) He had completed a five-to-10-year prison sentence and is considered a felon for the crime of “involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.”
Gilbert was elected for a second term for the unpaid volunteer position. The other firefighters serving in the town are aware of Gilbert’s criminal history and have been since 2010.
“I assist the hearth division and their determination to have him as chief …
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/sex-offender-roger-gilbert-jr-reelected-fire-chief
A man who abducted his ex-girlfriend with plans on taking her to a cave and making her his wife was found guilty on Tuesday, December 19 of kidnapping and conspiracy to commit kidnapping charges, according to The Dallas Morning News. He faces sentencing in March.
According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, 32-year-old Jack Morgan and a female accomplice, 19-year-old Sophie Brown, stalked and then kidnapped 28-year-old Jane Priebe earlier this year from her Las Vegas apartment. Brown pleaded guilty in November to one count of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and is currently awaiting sentencing, according to The Dallas Morning News.
A witness saw Priebe being dragged into a white van by Morgan. She was bound by chains and wearing only her underwear. Authorities were called in and then notified the area about the van. At about 11 PM the same day, a police officer in New Mexico stopped the van and heard Priebe shouting
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/man-convicted-kidnapping-ex-girlfriend-cave-brainwash
A San Diego man was convicted of murdering his wealthy boyfriend by stabbing him 24 times and dumping him off a cliff, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
David Meza, 26, brought his boyfriend Jake Merendino, 51, to the side of a road in Mexico in 2015 and repeatedly stabbed him, gutted him, and slashed his neck, prosecutors said. The older man was then dropped off the side of a cliff.
Prosecutors argued that Meza killed his boyfriend in order to inherit about $3.27 million in property, including a $273,000 ocean condo that Merendino had just purchased the day before.
Meza and Merendino met in 2013 after Meza posted an online ad saying that he was straight but did “gay things” for money. The two began a relationship in which Meza received money and expensive gifts from Merendino.
But, unbeknownst to Merendino, Meza had a girlfriend, Taylor Langston, who would became his fiancée. He
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/man-who-had-pregnant-fiancee-was-convicted-of-murdering-his-wealthy-boyfriend-he-did-gay
Twenty years ago, Terry and Earl Robertson were beaten and stabbed to death in their Rock Hill home. Their son, James Robertson was charged and convicted of the killings.
Robertson, known as “Jimmy,” has been on South Carolina’s death row for 18 years, since his 1999 conviction for double murder, armed robbery and credit card fraud.
Saturday, Nov. 25 is the 20th anniversary of the murders and subsequent arrest. The deaths, and the ensuing trial, captured the nation’s attention and continues to do so. This weekend, there will be a TV special focusing on the Rock Hill case.
Meanwhile, Robertson is not done with his appeals.
On Dec. 1, he will have a hearing on his latest attempt to get a new trial or his sentence overturned. State prosecutors
Read more at: http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/crime/article186308478.html
A mother from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania was sentenced to decades in prison on Monday for trying to kill her two children by asphyxiating them with exhaust fumes. In December 2015, 34-year-old Melissa Scholl put her two children, Julian and Vera who were then just 7 and 5, into her car. Then, the mother ran a hose from the exhaust pipe into the car’s window, according to the Times Leader. A bus driver witnesses the incident and intervened.
“I truly thought I would gain a sympathetic ear,” Scholl said at her sentencing, according to People. “I thought my act was harmless. I truly did.”
But, the jury rejected that defense and instead decided that she was trying to kill her children. Scholl’s lawyer said he plans to appeal the sentencing, stating he will fight it “to the death.”
Scholl was found guilty in September on two counts of attempted murder. On Monday, Luzerne
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/mom-convicted-after-strapping-kids-in-car-and-running-hose-from-exhaust-pipe-into-window
Isauro Aguirre, who killed and tortured his girlfriend’s child because he thought the 8 year old might be gay, has been found guilty of first degree murder.
According to The LA Times, jurors deliberated for six hours before delivering the guilty verdict. A jury must now decide if Aguirre will be sentenced to death for his crimes. The child’s mother, Pearl Sinthia Fernandez, will be tried separately.
Deputy Dist. Atty. Jonathan Hatami and Gabriel’s father shared a hug following the announcement of the verdict.
“I’m a dad and, you know, he’s a dad,” Hatami said tearfully. “It’s just two dads, and two humans in the community, just sharing the fact that maybe there was some justice.”
Prosecutors had presented horrific evidence of the abuse that the child, Gabriel Fernandez, who was found with a cracked skull, three broken ribs and BB pellets embedded in his lung and groin. Before his death, Fernandez was also forced
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/man-who-killed-girlfriends-8-year-old-son-who-he-thought-was-gay-convicted-of-1st-degree
A man who served more than 45 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit has been freed.
“God is so good,” said 65-year-old Wilbert Jones, who was imprisoned at 19 years old. The Los Angeles Times reports that Jones left East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Wednesday after being exonerated for a rape conviction.
“Freedom. After more than 45 years and 10 months. That’s going through my mind,” Jones said as he hugged his brother outside the prison. He said that “serving time” was difficult and thanked the legal team at the Innocence Project New Orleans — who work to overturn convictions of those they believe were falsely convicted — saying, “without them, this wouldn’t be possible.”
On October 2, 1971, Jones was arrested on suspicion of abducting a nurse at gunpoint from a Baton Rouge hospital parking lot and raping her behind a building. He was convicted of aggravated rape at
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/wilbert-jones-exonerated-released-prison
After an Ohio woman scalded her 4-year-old stepson to death in a bathtub, both she and her husband, the boy’s father, were convicted in his death, Crime Online reported.
The boy’s father, Robert Ritchie, 32, was sentenced to seven years in prison on Tuesday for failing to get medical help for his son, Austin Cooper, in his 2016 death. His wife, Anna Ritchie, was previously sentenced to 18 years to life after pleading guilty to charges of murder, involuntary manslaughter, felonious assault and endangering children charges.
Prosecutors alleged that Anna Ritchie held Austin in 135-degree water for 20-25 minutes because she resented being his primary caregiver, according to WXIX.
Robert Ritchie came home shortly after the assault and did not care for his son, prosecutors claimed.
“The question that kept me awake at night is: why did you not check on this little boy, your son, Austin, as he lay there for
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/dad-convicted-for-doing-nothing-after-stepmom-scalds-son-to-death-in-135-degree-bathtub