A Florida girl died several months after she was severely injured by drinking boiling water through a straw on a dare from her cousin, The Palm Beach Post reported.
Ki’ari Pope, 8, reportedly told her mother’s partner on Sunday night that she was unable to breathe, and was unresponsive just minutes later.
She was pronounced dead just after midnight on Monday.
Months earlier, Pope had received a tracheotomy after drinking the boiling water. The incident left her with chronic respiratory problems and damaged her ability to speak, according to a GoFundMe for Pope’s funeral expenses.
The girl and her cousin had seen the boiling water dare on a video from YouTube, the GoFundMe said.
Police are investigating allegations of abuse and neglect involving the girl, as well as between the girl’s mother and her partner.
“The loss of this child is truly devastating and our condolences go out to all those who loved her,”