A woman was left fighting for her life after a tummy tuck caused her to be infected with three flesh-eating bugs.
Laura Franks, who weighed 308lbs (22st) at her heaviest, lost 97lbs (7st) after undergoing gastric bypass surgery in 2013.
However, her sudden weight loss left the 36-year-old events planner feeling ‘like an empty bag’ with folds of excess skin hanging from her midriff.
Hoping to get her confidence back, Ms Franks paid $5,000 (£3,801) for a tummy tuck, liposuction and Brazilian bum lift at a clinic in Cali, Colombia, last February.
But instead of getting the body she had always dreamed of, Ms Franks caught three different types of flesh-eating bacteria from contaminated surgical equipment. Two of the infections are known to cause necrotizing fasciitis.
Ms Franks, of Atlanta, Georgia, spent more than a month recovering in Colombia, where she even had to have a skin graft from her
Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6280839/Events-planner-36-nearly-died-tummy-tuck-left-battling-THREE-flesh-eating-bugs.html
An obese woman claims she was given just days to live after she developed deadly sepsis from a gastric sleeve operation.
Laura Battrum, 35, from Birmingham, was severely overweight at 22 stone (308lbs) when she decided weight-loss surgery was her only option.
Due to her suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), the NHS agreed to pay for the operation, which took place last January.
Thrilled, Miss Battrum thought she was one step closer to her dream of starting a family with her partner of eight years Steve, 37.
Instead, she claims she developed sepsis and was given three days to live before being put in an induced coma for a month.
After spending a total of four months in hospital, Miss Battrum is finally back at home. But the health and social assessor is now forced to use a colostomy bag, and battles mobility problems and fatigue every day.
Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6204937/Woman-35-claims-given-just-days-live-developing-sepsis-weight-loss-surgery.html
Prosecutors have charged a man for the murders of two Christian camp counselors in California from nearly 14 years ago.
Shaun Gallon, 38, is the suspect for the 2004 deaths of Jason Allen, 26, and Lindsey Cutshall, 22. The two were counselors at a camp near Sacramento who went on a three-day sightseeing trip to the coast and never came back. They were found dead in their sleeping bags on a secluded beach at the mouth of the Russian River in northern California in August 2004.
Gallon was arrested in March 2017 for allegedly murdering his brother in their home in the small town of Forestville, according to the Sonoma County Sheriff Steve Freitas.
Gallon had been a person of interest since early in the investigation of the campers’ murders, according to Freitas, but investigators never had enough evidence to charge him.
Officers questioned Gallon about the
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/shaun-gallon-charged-cold-case-jason-allen-lindsey-cutshall-camp
A man recently released from prison after 47 years for a murder he claimed he didn’t commit was found dead on Saturday.
Cleve Heidelberg, who was recently featured on Oxygen’s “Final Appeal” was found dead at his apartment in Peoria County, Illinois over the weekend, According to The Journal Star in Peoria, Illinois. Foul play is not suspected. Police are looking into what may have led to his death. As of now, his initial autopsy was inconclusive.
He has only been a free man for ten months after being released from jail last May. Since then, he got an apartment and purchased a car. Friends and acquaintances said he was looking forward to starting over.
“He was just beginning to live his life after spending almost 50 years behind bars for a crime he did not commit,” his attorney Andy Hale told The Journal Star. “But we are also grateful that
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/cleve-heidelberg-who-spent-nearly-50-years-in-jail-found-dead-10-months-after-release
Gun safety 101: Do not sleep while holding your handgun, even if it is new.
Last week, a 30-year-old man from Omaha, Nebraska fell asleep while holding his brand new handgun. The end result: he practically shot off his left pinky finger.
In an incident report obtained by Oxygen.com, the man told police that he was sitting on his living room couch ogling his new purchase, a 9 mm pistol, when “must have fallen asleep.” He was holding his gun in his right hand when he passed out. The man told police he was “just checking out the gun” which he recently bought at a sporting goods store.
Around 4:30 a.m., “he was awoken by a bang he had shot his left pinky finger.” His wife and children were asleep in their bedrooms. His wife drove him to a nearby hospital. Doctors told police that he will require surgery to repair the damage
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/nebraska-man-nearly-shoots-finger-off-sleeping-new-gun
After receiving help from a homeless man after she ran out of gas on a Philadelphia interstate, a New Jersey woman is paying the favor back.
Earlier this month, 27-year-old Kate McClure ran out of gas on Interstate 95. It was past midnight and the highway was deserted. Johnny Bobbitt Jr., 34, came to her aid. With his last $20, the Good Samaritan walked to a gas station to get her some, the Associated Press reports.
Blown away by his good deed, McClure said returned to the road to see Bobbitt. She gave him cash, clothing, and food. Then, she started a fundraiser to raise money for her new friend.
“I wish that I could do more for this selfless man, who went out of his way just to help me that day,” she wrote on the GoFundMe campaign which is named ‘Paying It Forward.’ “Truly believe that all Johnny needs
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/woman-raises-nearly-150k-for-homeless-man-who-helped-her-by-giving-his-last-20
A college freshman says he survived a 60-hour stay inside a locked Indiana cave by licking the wall.
Indiana University freshman Lukas Cavar, 19, was on a spelunking trip with 12 others from the school’s caving club to Sullivan Cave, located 10 miles away from Bloomington. At some point in the exploration of the cave, Cavar separated from the group. According to CBS News, club members had padlocked the cave’s gate. Because there was no cell phone signal, the teen reportedly screamed for hours, hoping that somebody on nearby road might hear him.
“It took me a little while to wrangle my emotions and sort of approach things analytically, sensibly, to come up with a game plan to survive,” Cavar said Thursday.
He was rescued on Tuesday. He attempted to pick the padlock with a paper clip, with no success. To survive, he used energy bar wrappers to collect moisture and the
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/college-student-trapped-in-cave-for-nearly-3-days-survives-by-licking-the-walls
Nearly half of R. Kelly’s upcoming “After Party” tour dates were canceled on Monday. Just last week, the singer vowed to go on with his tour, despite the rampant accusations that he is the leader of a sex “cult,” where young women are being held against their will in his mansion.
“I just want to let my fans know, despite all of the crap y’all hearing, I will be coming to the East Coast to do my show,” he said in a video last week. “And believe me y’all, it’s a bunch of crap.”
Two shows in Louisiana, one in Dallas and another in Los Angeles got canceled according to TMZ. In all, R. Kelly had 10 shows scheduled. Reportedly, the four dates were axed because of poor ticket sales. Low sales seem pretty on point, especially after TMZ reported that on Friday R. Kelly performed in front of a half-empty venue
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/r-kelly-cancels-nearly-half-his-tour-dates-amid-rumors-of-his-alleged-sex-cult
A jealousy-fueled love triangle almost turned deadly when a man nearly hacked his wife’s lover with a chainsaw. According to the Chicago Tribune, Jose A. Jaimes-Jimenez has been charged with attempted murder and other charges for violently attacking his estranged wife’s boyfriend.
On Monday, 27-year-old Jaimes-Jimenez apparently waited outside his wife’s job in Arlington Heights and saw her leaving with her new man. He rammed his car into the boyfriend’s and then attacked him with a chainshaw, slicing his arm. The victim suffered cuts to his torso, hand and elbow. He was able to free himself by kicking Jaimes-Jimenez in the groin and running away.
He is expected to survive and the wife was not harmed.
According to ABC6, the suspect wore only boxer shorts during the attack.
“This was almost a scene from a horror movie,” Judge Joseph Cataldo said, per the Tribune. The judge ordered Jaimes-Jimenez to be held on $2.5 million bond. In addition to the murder charge,
Read more at: http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/chainsaw-nearly-cuts-mans-hand-off-during-love-triangle-attack